[Dovecot] migrating from mbox to maildir

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 00:55:20 EET 2007

On Nov 24, 2007 4:13 PM, mouss <mlist.only at free.fr> wrote:
> Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> > On Friday, November 23 at 01:53 PM, quoth Erick Perez:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I have a locking problem in a Centos 4.4 linux machine with the
> >> following config:
> >> dovecot-0.99.11-8.EL4
> >
> > The problem is quite likely one that was fixed in more recent versions
> > of dovecot. Versions 0.99.x are extremely old (to the point of nearly
> > being an entirely different product from Dovecot 1.0).
> >
> >> then someone told me that I need to change dovecot to maildir format.
> >> Is there a reference to change format?
> >> Or some comments about this?
> >
> > Dovecot 0.99.x's Maildir support may have been better than its mbox
> > support, but that's a bad reason to convert all your mail storage. If
> > you update your Dovecot to a non-antique version, chances are you'll fix
> > your problem with much less effort.
> >
> > If for some reason you are completely stuck with 0.99.x, then yes,
> > changing to Maildir format is pretty easy, and there are plenty of
> > conversion scripts out there in the world. Just ask Google. Keep in mind
> > if the real problem is some bug in Centos that prevents Dovecot from
> > using locks, then the Maildir conversion may not help much, because
> > Maildir (in Dovecot) uses locks as well.
>
> why lock?
>
> anyway, the problem should be solved because postfix won't need to lock
> the file.

Please see my new post where I posted my dovecot.conf config file.
This is my production server and I dont have a spare, so I dont want
to break auth if i upgrade.

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780