[Dovecot] Wanting to seperate MTA and Imap

Peter Fern dovecot at obfusc8.org
Mon Nov 26 04:03:52 EET 2007

Brent Clark wrote:
> I read the documentation on NFS, but from other sites i have read.
> Most say this is NOT the best solution.

I use NFS, as do quite a number of people - it may not be the best
solution, but there are few others for realising shared storage at all
sensibly.  Most of the cluster filesystems I've tested have not
performed well, and I'm guessing you don't have access to a quality SAN
to make this sensible.

If you read the doco in the Dovecot wiki regarding NFS you should be
moving in the right direction.  My only suggestion is that creating
local caches/indexes (ie - not residing on NFS) on your IMAP servers is
a good idea - hint: check out the Dovecot doco on 'mail_location'.