[Dovecot] Some dovecot conf parameters

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 26 16:06:33 EET 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 16:52 +0300, Proskurin Kirill wrote:
> Im working now on migration from cyrus to dovecot(v1.07).

Would you like to tell why? I'm always interested of why people are
switching away from Cyrus. :)

> user_attrs = mail
> #,homeDirectory,,,,
> user_filter = (&(objectClass=qmailUser)(mail=%u))
> pass_attrs = mail,userPassword=password
> pass_filter = (&(objectClass=qmailUser)(mail=%u))
>
> What does this parameters mean? Im understand what mean a *_filter, but
> im do not understand a *_attrs.
> Yes, im read a http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/LDAP
> and http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields
>
> But don`t understand it. :-(

Those are fields that Dovecot looks up from LDAP and uses for its
internal purposes.

If you're using auth_bind=yes, pass_attrs only needs to return "user"
field. In your case you're using "mail" for that, so you need to tell
Dovecot that it's the same as "user":

pass_attrs = mail=user,userPassword=password

It might not be necessary though. But that makes sure that if mail=%u
matching is case-insensitive, Dovecot uses the username with the exact
same casing as it's in LDAP.

user_attrs then.. Well, if you're using virtual users with a single UID
and GID you may not need to use userdb ldap at all. Look at
http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/Static instead.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserDatabase anyway explains the user_attrs
fields.