[Dovecot] little submissions feature request

Netskin | Corin Langosch clangosch at netskin.de
Wed Nov 28 12:18:54 EET 2007

Hi!

I'm using dovecot for a while now and really like it. Actually dovecot
1.5 on
Debian AMD64.

Now I have to use a cifs mounted maildir directory and found it to be
quite slow,
though I already tuned it a lot. The only way to get it fast was to put
INDEX and
CONTROL files on the local disc and so outside of the maildirs.
Performance is
great but the problem is with submissions to maildirs.

When a CONTROL directive is given, dovecot writes the submissions file to
this directory too. Now as I have two dovecots in a loadbalancer my
users have
to do their modifications to their subscriptions always twice (for each
server
in the loadbalancer). I now modified dovecot on my own to put the
submissions
file into the Maildir, everything else is unchanged. This works just
great and
as desired.

Anything I missed in my setup, locking issues, ...?

Otherwise it may worth adding a switch for this?
A directive like INDEX, CONTROL... :SUBMISSSIONS=path...

Regards,
Corin