[Dovecot] spf record

zbigniew szalbot zbigniew at szalbot.homedns.org
Wed Nov 28 21:23:35 EET 2007

Hello,

M. Fioretti pisze:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 10:14:31 AM -0800, Marc Perkel (marc at perkel.com)
> wrote:
>
> > >Everyone has different opinions on the usefulness of SPF, but the
> > >reality of it is, DomainKeys solves the entire problem.  SPF
> > >doesn't.
> >
> > I second that. I've wasted a lot of time with SPF and it's useless.
>
> Maybe. Or maybe, more exactly, is useless to use, but it's necessary
> to have. The reality today is that if you manage a mail server you
> simply have to get your SPF right, no matter what you do or do not
> with SPF of _incoming_ messages. What the message that starts the
> thread means is that, if anybody with a @dovecot.org address (or any
> other domain address with the same SPF status) sends a CV to some
> dream company he'd like to work for, but the address he wrote is an
> hotmail one (or is forwarded to an hotmail one) that company will
> never see his CV and hire somebody else.
>
> And there are too many people with an Hotmail account (and you not
> knowing they have an hotmail account) which you or your users may NEED
> to contact to ignore such cases.

I have heard the same arguments thousand times on various MTA-related
lists. I thought this list was dedicated to dovecot and so maybe we
could drop this thread? It does not seem dovecot-related and the thread
- as usual in such a case - is generating quite a heavy traffic.

Best regards,

Zbigniew Szalbot