[Dovecot] ACL question

Cory Coager ccoager at utechproducts.com
Mon Oct 1 17:26:38 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 11:05 -0400, Cory Coager wrote:
>
>> Does ACL's apply to all subfolders?  For instance, if I create a
>> dovecot-acl in a Maildir/, does it apply only to the INBOX or does it
>> apply to all subfolders as well?
>>

> There is no inheritance currently, so that would apply only to INBOX.

Hmm, I did some testing on this and my results were the opposite.  I
created a namespace to someone else's Maildir home and configured the
dovecot-acl in this folder only.  From my username, with read
permissions, I was able to see all of their folders.  From another user,
with no permissions, I wasn't able to subscribe to any of their folders,
none were visible.

Now don't get me wrong, this is actually what I'm looking for because
its less maintenance for me.  However, why am I getting different
results?  I'm just worried about possible security issue if I don't
configure the permissions for each folder.

The structure looks like this:
/home/vmail/domain/user/.maildir/dovecot-acl
/home/vmail/domain/user/.maildir/.Drafts
/home/vmail/domain/user/.maildir/.Sent
/home/vmail/domain/user/.maildir/.Trash

~Cory Coager