[Dovecot] shared mailboxes question

Cory Coager ccoager at utechproducts.com
Mon Oct 1 18:38:37 EEST 2007

Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Cory Coager wrote:
>
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>>
>>> Benjamin's setup should make it possible, but that works only for the
>>> other users' INBOXes, and you do need that kludgy setup where users'
>>> maildirs begin with ".".
>>>
>>> I was originally planning on making this easily possible for v1.1, but
>>> it got delayed. v1.2 maybe will support this setup, but for now only
>>> ugly kludges are possible.
>>>
>>> With v1.1 you could perhaps implement this more easily if you
>>> use :LAYOUT=fs instead of Maildir++ layout..
>>>

>> I can't get this to work at all, nothing to subscribe to.  I'm using
>> version 1.0.3 though, could this be why?
>>

> Unless you're referring to ':LAYOUT=fs', it shouldn't be the issue.
> 1.0.3 is the version I used to test the kludgy method. Before, I
> tested directly (telnet localhost 143 and LIST "" "users/%" commands).
> And just now I confirmed that you can subscribe to users/(username)
> through Thunderbird. (But it still doesn't do much, since the
> permissions problems remain.)
>
> Best,
> Ben
I'm using gentoo also so we must have the same exact version.  Something
strange though, my configuration file uses a different syntax than
yours.  Instead of using colons for variables it expects equals.  So
when I copied and pasted your config I got this error:

Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 1:
Expecting '='
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

Why is this happening?