[Dovecot] shared mailboxes question

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Mon Oct 1 20:46:01 EEST 2007

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Charles Marcus wrote:

>> I'm using gentoo also so we must have the same exact version.  Something
>> strange though, my configuration file uses a different syntax than
>> yours.  Instead of using colons for variables it expects equals.  So
>> when I copied and pasted your config I got this error:
>>
>> Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 1:
>> Expecting '='
>> Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>>
>> Why is this happening?
>
> The colons are produced from the output of 'dovecot -n'... you can't just
> copy-n-paste that output to a config file...
>
> I brought this up some time ago, right after Timo added the dovecot -n
> feature, that it should be formatted the same as the config file itself...

I second that suggestion. The namespace config is particularly different
(the "type: public/private" part):

namespace:
   type: public
   separator: /
   prefix: users/
   location: maildir:/var/mail:CONTROL=/var/mail/.%u/control/users:INDEX=/var/mail/.%u/index/users
namespace:
   type: private
   separator: /
   inbox: yes

translates to:

namespace public {
  separator = /
  prefix = users/
  location = maildir:/var/mail:CONTROL=/var/mail/.%u/control/users:INDEX=/var/mail/.%u/index/users
}
namespace private {
  separator = /
  inbox = yes
}

Along with:

mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/.%u:INDEX=/var/mail/.%u/dovecot

I think those are the relevant changes (from the base Gentoo config) to my
dovecot.conf.

Best,
Ben