[Dovecot] Dovecot do not retrieve mail from spool directory (pop3)

jsorlowscy at netzero.net jsorlowscy at netzero.net
Tue Oct 2 00:43:46 EEST 2007

Hello,
I have Dovecot 1.0.beta8 on FC5.[root at topaz orlowscy.com]
# dovecot -n
log_path: /var/log/dovecot
protocols: pop3
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
default_mail_env: mbox:/tmp:INBOX:/var/spool/vmail/%d/%n:INDEX=MEMORY
mail_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir: /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
auth default:
  verbose: yes
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /etc/mail/passwd-dovecot
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/spool/vmail/%d/%n

I can send and receive email by exim SMTP server.
I would like to use dovecot as pop3 only server.
I can send and .email and I see them delivered to /var/spool/vmail/virtualdomain/ directories. They are own by vmail user created for dovecot.
Dovecot is able to authenticate but is not retrieving any emails.

dovecot: Oct 01 23:19:55 Info: auth(default): pam(sorlowski at orlowscy.com,::ffff:83.14.109.98): pam_authenticate() f
ailed: Error in service module
dovecot: Oct 01 23:19:55 Info: auth(default): passwd(sorlowski at orlowscy.com,::ffff:83.14.109.98): unknown user
dovecot: Oct 01 23:19:55 Info: pop3-login: Login: user=<sorlowski at orlowscy.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:83.14.109
.98, lip=::ffff:83.14.109.98
dovecot: Oct 01 23:20:49 Info: POP3(sorlowski at orlowscy.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/0, s
ize=0

I was trying to retrieve them by Outlook express.
When logged in as telnet localhost 110
after LIST commant I'm getting
+OK Logged in.
list
+OK 0 messages:

 even there is file with some emails.
[root at topaz log]# ls -l /var/spool/vmail/orlowscy.com/sorlowski
-rw-rw---- 1 vmail vmail 5164 Oct  1 23:18 /var/spool/vmail/orlowscy.com/sorlowski

Please anybody help.
Regards
Slawomir