[Dovecot] Disable imap proxy access

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Oct 3 18:38:49 EEST 2007

> How to disable pop3 and imap access during the data migration process
> (duration 5 minutes to 10 minutes). Can i send a custom error message to
> our users ?

I don't recall the exact details, but I think both options are possible
if you check the dovecot wiki.  There is a good study regarding the
proxy stuff, and some notes on sending custom errors back (along with a
note that it's not supported on many clients)

If you use SQL then you could simply change the query temporarily

Also when I do my migration I change the permissions on the home folders
first (root:root say) - this way if I muck something up they don't get
logged into the old mailbox.  Then I reset the permissions back on the
new server and update the proxy settings.  This also gives a random
error back to the client in the meantime if they try and log in.

I should think that the above could even be scripted and run per mailbox
for a very subtle downtime period... I use rsync once while the mailbox
is online, then change perms so that the user can't login, then do a
final rsync to get any changes across.  I didn't check whether there is
a problem with an existing connection still accessing the data after the
perms were changed though...

Good luck

Ed W