[Dovecot] Corrupt Message?

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Fri Oct 5 17:29:41 EEST 2007

Daniel Watts wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Am accessing dovecot imap through squirrelmail.
> Squirrelmail paginates the message list into pages.
>
> All works fine except for the page one particular email is in. When I
> try to open that page (or in fact click 'show all') the server returns:
>
> ERROR: Bad or malformed request.
> Query: FETCH 549,551,555:557,563,565,567:569 (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE
> INTERNALDATE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Date To Cc From Subject X-Priority
> Importance Priority Content-Type)])
> Server responded: No mailbox selected.
>
> Could you possibly let me know what I should do and also how I can find
> the guilty mail file from that error? Can I just delete the email? Or is
> there a nice script to repair a dovecot maildir?
>
> Many thanks for your advice,
> Daniel

Found the issue. For some reason one of the messages was owned by root
rather than by my 'vmail' user. Not sure how that could have happened
but chowning back to vmail solved the problem.

Timo, perhaps Dovecot could give a slightly more useful 'permission
denied' error in these instances?

Best wishes,
Daniel