[Dovecot] "Corrupted index cache file" error (Dovecot 1.0.3)

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 19:40:55 EEST 2007

Greetings -

Now that users are beginning to pile up more on our new Dovecot-based
IMAP service I'm seeing a small number of entries like this in the
logfiles:

Corrupted index cache file /mailstore/index/o/ozw100/.INBOX/
dovecot.index.cache
: invalid record size

We are using Dovecot 1.0.3 with Maildir folders served over NFS from
NetApp filers, but the index files are stored on local disk.

By "a small number" I mean 4 or 5 on each of our two IMAP servers
since midnight.

   * Should I be worried?
   * Is there anything I need to do fix the files?  (I'm guessing not
as no
     problem reports have come in, and the logs show the people affected
     continuing to work throughout the day.)
   * Would upgrading to 1.0.5 help?  (I couldn't see anything in the
     Release Notes for either 1.0.4 or 1.0.5 about this)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *