[Dovecot] graceful failure when some folders are not available...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 6 04:28:20 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 20:03 -0500, bhayden at umn.edu wrote:
> Hi folks. Quick question in the hopes that someone knows the answer, before
> I dig in the code some more.
>
> In testing a new setup with some long-term archival mbox-format mailboxes
> stored on an NFS mount, we've found the following: if the mount is
> unavailable for any reason, the user cannot log into their email at all.
> Dovecot says: "stat() failed with mbox foo" and dies. This is coming from
> the mbox sync checks. (It's possible the same happens with a maildir
> folder--I'm just specifying mbox because that's what we've tested with so
> far).

It shouldn't die. Maybe your client kills the connection?

I tested this by making the stat() call always fail with EIO:

x select inbox
x NO Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2007-10-06 04:24:48]
x status foo (messages)
x NO Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2007-10-06 04:24:58]

Or even if the mailbox is successfully opened and after that:

x noop
* NO Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2007-10-06 04:27:31]
x OK NOOP completed.