[Dovecot] FW: IMAP proxy with dovecot and hostname

Abhijit Hoskeri abhijit at deeproot.co.in
Wed Oct 10 09:12:11 EEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 07:11:03AM +0300, Limperis Antonis wrote:
> I use a qmail cluster  and Courier IMAP. In this system used the ldap
> field mailhost  for proxy functionality with dns name as value.
>
> Is there a plan to add the DNS resolving to dovecot in host field; Is
> there any patch;

I struggled with Dovecot's proxying for a few days, and even though we
eventually got it to work, the non-support of DNS names in that field
really made this feature unusable for me.

I have a few suggestions (other than the support for DNS names):

* The server's config should have a list of all values for proxy
  which refer to its own host: like the PROXY_HOSTNAME in Courier.

* There should be a way to turn on proxying globally without us having
  to set it for each and every user.

Even though Dovecot does work as a proxy, the presence of the above two
attributes are absolutely essential in real world use.

Please do correct me if some of these things are already possible.

-Abhijit