[Dovecot] UIDL format for old UW pop3

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 11 17:44:00 EEST 2007

on 10/10/2007 9:11 PM Oliver Hookins spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> we're trying to migrate from UW imap 2001a-10, which doesn't seem to use the
> UIDL format documented in the wiki. It seems to use a 16 character long MD5
> hash of something. I've tried configuring Dovecot to do the same but the
> value comes out differently.
>
> The main thing that I can see is getting in the way is that the UIDL format
> is not documented sufficiently. There is no description of using numbers to
> restrict the length of the output, and no documentation of special features
> like X or M. Can someone shed some light on these?

Do you have a lot of users that leave mail on the server?
It might be easier to just use a documented UIDL that works more reliably with
the bad clients like Outlook. Your users will re-download once, but you can
warn them. If you are letting them leave mail on the server with pop3, you
might as well use IMAP, as the protocol is less prone to this stuff.
And if they don't have mail on the server, then the UIDL change won't affect them.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and