[Dovecot] Spliting Folders for Efficiency

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Sat Oct 13 07:53:28 EEST 2007

On Friday, October 12 at 11:06 AM, quoth Daniel Watts:
> What actually ARE the advantages of a 'one file per folder' format??

It depends on the environment. It's exceedingly efficient at storage:
on a filesystem with 4k blocks, three 1k messages take up 1 block
(4k), where in a one-file-per-message format they take up 3 blocks
(12k). Some filesystems have mechanisms of coping with files that only
occupy a partial block, but those mechanisms tend to be expensive, and
are often only employed when strapped for space. The
one-file-per-folder arrangement also helps when doing sequential reads
(i.e. searches, or loading it into memory, or processing it with a
filter, or whatever else): when the OS spools the file from disk, it
loads it up a block at a time, which in a one-file-per-folder format
is several messages, but in a one-file-per-message format is only ever
a single message.

I've often contemplated setting up a separate mbox-based namespace in
my Dovecot setup (e.g. everything in the Archive folder is saved as an
mbox), just for the space savings.

~Kyle
--
Only the fool hopes to repeat an experience; the wise man knows that
every experience is to be viewed as a blessing.