[Dovecot] trying to enable features

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Sun Oct 14 01:23:40 EEST 2007

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, Ray wrote:

> Please correct me where I'm wrong.
> according to my understanding: When the server receives an email, dovecot pop
> server makes connection with the outside world, [cut]

Dovecot's POP3 server waits for a user to connect to it to retrieve mails
that are already stored somewhere. In your case, probably by Postfix
receiving the mail via SMTP, then delivering it via Procmail (not sure on
that last part). You could optionally use Dovecot's 'deliver' to do that
last step, but Dovecot still doesn't make any connection for incoming
mail. That part's handled by Postfix (in your case).

There's plenty of documentation in the wiki about all this.

**** This should clear up the roles of dovecot/etc. ****
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailServerOverview

In particular, try this highlighting, and note the two highlights:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailServerOverview?highlight=%28not+responsible%29

Dovecot's 'deliver':
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix