[Dovecot] Suggested IMAP Directory Size..

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Oct 15 19:56:45 EEST 2007

on 10/15/2007 8:52 AM Ilo Lorusso spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> ive walked into a enviroment where the previous admin has being using pop
> and making the email clients leaving a copy of the mail on the workstation..
>
> Now overtime these mailboxes (mbox format) have grown  between  1,5 to 1,8
> Gigs large
>
> I want to convert all these mailbox to IMAP  (only 15) and want to know
> whats the largested suggest folder size per user dovecot IMAP runs
> smoothly with good responce times..
>
> I know the users also have large OUT LOOK pst files 4.5GIGs and wondering if
> I could also intergrate that into IMAP?
>

> Please any feedback would be great on this topic..??

I have some users that have let their inboxes get to a gig with no noticeable
speed problems except when you delete stuff from the middle with clients like
thunderbird that want to purge on every delete. If you purge as a seperate
step, it isn't as noticeable.

I have some little used folders of things like logwatch e-mails that are
several gigs large, and I can read and search them fairly quickly.

The indexes in dovecot help a lot. Wuimap would slow to a crawl on large boxes.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and