[Dovecot] Problems with dovecot 1.1b3

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Thu Oct 18 03:05:27 EEST 2007

I am testing dovecot 1.1 betas on a testing system, hoping to take advantage
of self repairing and NFS-capable indexes when 1.1 is sensible to put into
production.  I ran into a number of issues that I did not have with 1.0,
and I think I'll just pick one or more at a time and report them rather than
try to report every single issue at once, hoping that some of the fixes will
solve more than one problem.

I started with 1.1b2 just for record, but the issues seem to be present in
1.1b3 as well.  I realized yesterday that using the acl plugin may be complicating
my testing and results, so I have disabled it for now and am connecting with
plaintext IMAP just so I can sniff connections and see what is happening.
I am running it on FreeBSD 6.2-stable from Sep 19 2007.

First my dovecot -n output:
# 1.1.beta3: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
ssl_cert_file: /usr/local/etc/apache2/ssl/ssl.pem
ssl_key_file: /usr/local/etc/apache2/ssl/ssl.pem
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 1000
first_valid_gid: 0
mail_location:
maildir:%h/Maildir:CONTROL=%h/Maildir/dovecot/private/control:INDEX=%h/Maildir/dovecot/private/indexes
mail_debug: yes
mmap_disable: yes
mail_nfs_storage: yes
mail_nfs_index: yes
mail_plugins: mail_log
mail_log_max_lines_per_sec: 0
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  prefix: mail/
  location:
maildir:%h/Maildir:CONTROL=%h/Maildir/dovecot/private2/control:INDEX=%h/Maildir/dovecot/private2/indexes
  hidden: yes
  list: yes
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 384
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
plugin:
  acl: vfile:/usr/local/etc/dovecot-acls

The first thing I did was to try to update my dovecot.conf from 1.0 to work with
1.1.  When I started dovecot 1.1 for the first time, I noticed it was listening to
143 but not 993, even though my config was designed for ssl/tls in 1.0 without any
listen ports specified:

# netstat -a | grep LISTEN | grep imap
tcp4       0      0  *.imap                 *.*                    LISTEN

So, I thought I would try specifying the ports in the config:

   protocol imap {
     listen = *:143
     ssl_listen = *:993
#     ..
   }

Success!

# netstat -a | grep LISTEN | grep imap
tcp4       0      0  *.imaps                *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.imap                 *.*                    LISTEN

Initially I was then testing using ACLs, but I disabled it to simplify.

One of the more basic problems I've seen is the behavior from "list = no/yes".
For the sake of simplicity and example, I've disabled most of the additional
public and private namespaces from my 1.0 config.

I have some private namespaces with prefix "mail/" and "Mail/" that I wish to
provide for users for compatability with clients set with those prefixes.
In dovecot 1.0, this worked as expected:

namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  prefix: mail/
  hidden: yes

But in 1.1b2 or b3, I never seem to get a list of the contents under mail/
when I tell mutt to default to servername/mail/ as the default folder path.

Cases:

hidden = yes
list = yes

a0006 LIST "" "mail"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "mail"
a0006 OK List completed.
a0007 LIST "" "mail/%"
a0007 OK List completed.

mutt lists contents of only "../" and selecting it brings me to the imap root
with the expected folders.  When ../ is followed, I see all my folders as well
as all my folders repeated under mail/ prefix.

hidden = yes
list = no

a0006 LIST "" "mail"
a0006 OK List completed.