[Dovecot] imap process consuming 100% CPU (Dovecot 1.0.3)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 21 00:47:38 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 10:50 -0600, Jackie Hunt wrote:
> Attached is the truss for the imap process we are seeing which is
> chewing up CPU.  We've seen this issue on several different clients,
> usually first thing in the morning.  Shutting down the client and
> restarting always seems to get Dovecot back in sync.   Hope we can
> get some help with this.   We're running 1.0.5.  Thanks!

The truss output looks like Dovecot re-reads the entire mbox file for
each FETCH command. Did you use NFS? Do you have mbox_dirty_syncs=yes
(default)?

Anyway this isn't an infinite loop in Dovecot. It's processing multiple
FETCH commands. Maybe the client got stuck somehow and just keeps
sending the same command over and over again? Would have been nice to
see the entire FETCH command and its output. "truss -r0 -w1" does that I
think.