[Dovecot] v1.1 QUOTA and inbox quota

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 21 03:12:30 EEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 16:46 +0200, Kristian Vlahovicek wrote:
> My mail agent is postfix and by default it imposes the INBOX size of 50
> meg. I would like my imap mail clients (I'm using Thunderbird) to "see"
> this and warn me when my inbox fills up. I tried doing it with the old
> quota system but wasn't successful. With the new quota rule system it
> looks like per-mailbox quotas are possible, however when I do this:
>
>   quota = maildir
>   quota_rule = INBOX:storage=50000
>
> I get an error in the log:
>
> Sep 28 02:18:31 discworld dovecot: IMAP(kristian): open((null)) failed:
> Bad address

1) maildir++ quota works only with maildir storages. This error message
is pretty bad though, I fixed it to now log:

Warning: quota maildir: No maildir storages, ignoring quota.

2) The quota rules are different from per-mailbox quotas. The quota
rules only apply when saving messages to the mailbox.

You could use dirsize backend with mbox, but if you wanted it to display
only INBOX's quota you'd need to modify the sources.