[Dovecot] dovecot? putting wrong seperator in subscriptions file

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sun Oct 21 19:24:15 EEST 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 04:51:40PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

  On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 08:56 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
  > My config has folders show up in the root namespace as well as
  > hidden ones like mail/ for compat.  In thunderbird when I set the
  > namespace prefix to mail/, I effectively cannot subscribe to folders.
  > You can pull up the folder list, select some folders to subscribe to,
  > hit okay, and nothing changes in thunderbird:
  >
  > 3 subscribe "mail/Spam"
  > 3 OK Subscribe completed.
  > 4 lsub "" "mail/*"
  > 4 OK Lsub completed.
  >
  > What gets put in my subscriptions file:
  > mail.Spam
  >
  > If I manually change my subscriptions file to mail/Spam, it works
  > as expected.

  http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/2bd0aaeb35f3

Thanks.  This is functioning now, but it is different than 1.0 since
it stores the prefix inside the subscriptions file (mail.Spam) instead
of just Spam.  In short, I wish it would use the dovecot 1.0 behavior
of getting the prefix from the namespace config and not the subscription
file.  Explanation below.

While this behavior in 1.1 is functional, it causes a small problem for me
because I was intending on having 3 namespaces (2 hidden, mail/ and Mail/)
share the same CONTROL directory, and this makes the subscriptions file
specific to only one namespace.  Thus when I convert my user's mail into
dovecot maildir and prepopulate their subscriptions file with the mailbox
folders I migrate, I cannot predict which mail folder prefix their client may
be set to out of the 3 choices and then the prepopulated subscription file
may be useless.

I could work around this by having a seperate CONTROL for each of the 3
namespaces that point to the same folders, and modify my migration script
to make 3 separate but appropriate subscription files (or other ugly methods),
but then if they subscribe/unsubscribe various folders and then change their
client folder prefix (or switch between another client such as webmail),
their subscription files wont be in sync.