[Dovecot] Suggested IMAP Directory Size..

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Oct 22 19:33:29 EEST 2007

on 10/20/2007 1:56 PM Timo Sirainen spake the following:
> On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 17:52 +0200, Ilo Lorusso wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> ive walked into a enviroment where the previous admin has being using pop
>> and making the email clients leaving a copy of the mail on the workstation..
>>
>> Now overtime these mailboxes (mbox format) have grown  between  1,5 to 1,8
>> Gigs large
>>
>> I want to convert all these mailbox to IMAP  (only 15) and want to know
>> whats the largested suggest folder size per user dovecot IMAP runs
>> smoothly with good responce times..
>
> If old messages are deleted, maildir would work a lot faster than mbox.
> If not, Dovecot shouldn't have problems even with huge mbox files as
> long as you set mbox_very_dirty_syncs=yes. >4GB files should work, but
> they haven't been tested much.
>
>> I know the users also have large OUT LOOK pst files 4.5GIGs and wondering if
>> I could also intergrate that into IMAP?
>
> Sure, if you can figure out how to convert them.

One more note on this;
Since Outlook PST files can have multiple folders, but mbox files can't, the
process of creating the folders on the server and migrating the mail there
might break up the size of the PST files.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and