[Dovecot] POP3/IMAP newbie question

Lars Stavholm stava at telcotec.se
Wed Oct 24 17:35:02 EEST 2007

Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Ed W wrote:
>
>> How about normally logging in via POP, but users want webmail access
>> also?
>
> Well, I'm very curious about POP3 and IMAP access. It does not work well
> locally. When POP3 removes mails from the server, IMAP sees nothing
> anymore.

Well, that's kinda' whats supposed to happen.

> Most people use folders to sort mail. This is not manageable with POP3
> and IMAP together, with POP you sort locally, with IMAP on the server,

Exactly.

> but the folders are not accessable from POP.

As IMAP is not accessible from POP since it's two different
protocols with different functionality, as is intended I guess.

> Do your users use MUAs, that do not support IMAP?

Well, as a matter of being somewhat relaxed about things like this,
I would like the users to choose whatever suits them, as opposed to
some techie moron (me) making the choice for them. Common sense, right?

Cheers
/Lars