[Dovecot] SSL/TLS with Outlook client

Eli dovecot-list at elisand.com
Thu Oct 25 17:08:34 EEST 2007

I am trying to get TLS to work with Outlook 2007 and I've hit a small
problem.  Whenever I start it up, I get this error:

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot
be verified.
The target principal name is incorrect." (yes/no choice of trusting)

I first tried with a wildcard cert (*.elisand.com), and then tried with
mail.elisand.com - both certs are from cacert.org and the root CA certs are
installed and functioning properly on my system (so the certs should be
trusted).

I've searched all over Google and such trying to find out why Outlook would
give me this error from an IMAP/TLS connection (closest I could find was
Exchange related info), and I know this is by no means an Outlook mailing
list... though I'm just wondering if anyone else on here has ever
encountered this problem before and could point me in the right direction to
getting the SSL cert working with Outlook.

Thanks in advance!