[Dovecot] SSL help needed - "no root certificate"

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at nccom.com
Fri Oct 26 03:23:00 EEST 2007

Hi.  I've spent the past few hours trying to get SSL working right in
Dovecot 1.0.5 and now I must turn to you for help.

I purchased an SSL certificate from Go Daddy.  I pointed ssl_cert_file
to the .crt file and ssl_key_file to the .key file, but the client
(Mail.app) complains:

   Mail was unable to verify the identity of this server, which has a
   certificate issued to "imap.nccom.com". The error was:

   There is no root certificate for this server.

So I tried downloading Go Daddy's root certificate and pointing
ssl_ca_file to that file, but that didn't help.

So I tried pointing ssl_ca_file to the intermediate certificate sent to
me by Go Daddy, but that breaks things to the point where I never even
get the above message; just nothing happens at all.

I'm not sure what to try next and am happy to entertain any
suggestions.

Thanks...