[Dovecot] few questions about 1.1*

Daniel leva at az.isten.hu
Fri Oct 26 18:24:46 EEST 2007

On 2007. October 26. 16:12.08 Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 11:42 +0200, Daniel wrote:
> > I'm testing 1.1, and have some questions.
> > (How) Can I override the default maildir++ quota setting (I mean
> > quota_rule) in the userdb, so that one won't have quota at all.
> > Right now I'm setting a very high limit in the userdb with
> > quota_rule=*:storage=99G in the extra field.
>
> storage=0
The strange thing is that the new settings won't get applied (I mean I
can not override my default config). I have this in my dovecot.conf:

plugin {
  quota = maildir
  quota_rule = *:storage=100M
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=50M
}

and here is snippet from my userdb:

leva::uid:gid:gecos:home::quota_rule=*:storage=0

Still, when I log in, I get this in my dovecot log:

Info: IMAP(leva): Quota rule: root= mailbox= storage=102400kB messages=0
Info: IMAP(leva): Quota rule: root= mailbox=Trash storage=51200kB
messages=0

> > Prior to 1.1 I was using 1.0 and had fs quota. I've had set up
> > dovecot so that the indexes were stored on another partition where
> > there were no fs quotas for the users. Now I'm trying to use
> > maildir++ quota, and wondering if there is still any use of keeping
> > the index files on a separate partition.
>
> Probably not, although if it's in a separate disk you might get
> better performance.
Okay, thanks!

> > This will be maybe a bit stupid, but do I still need the quota
> > plugin to be loaded in the protocol {imap,pop3,lda} sections if I'm
> > using the above mentioned new 1.1 maildir++ quota?
>
> Yes, quota support exists only in the quota plugin so it needs to be
> loaded.
Thanks, acknowledged.

> > Furthermore, will deliver be aware of the new quota system?
>
> Yes (or not specifically, because it's all handled in generic mail
> handling code).
I meant that will Deliver totally ignore the quota, and deliver the
mails no matter how many bytes they are consuming, or will it bounce(or
maybe something else?) back the mail to the MTA if the destination user
is over quota?

Thanks!

Daniel