[Dovecot] Segfault when opening a public folder, dovecot 1.1 beta4

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sun Oct 28 16:12:37 EET 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 03:57:22PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

  On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 09:25 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
  >   >     userdb passwd {
  >   >       args = system_user=
  >   >     }

  This works only with v1.1. v1.0 just ignores it.

Hmm.  I might be able to get by without this.

  >   Looks like it overrides the system_user with empty value and Dovecot
  >   ends up calling initgroups(""). I'm not sure what that does, if
  >   anything. This fixes it: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/7f2501b3e993
  >
  > Upon some further testing, this patch doesn't seem to do anything, because
  > for some reason 1.1 allows me to login when I am in too many groups, but
  > 1.0 fails (this is where I saw the errors), and both versions seem to act the same
  > with or without the patch.  When I use mail_executable to run a shell script to
  > report group membership, on both servers I still see the full list when using
  > system_user=   and mail_extra_groups but I don't see the group I set in mail_extra_groups.
  > I'm not sure what to think, is there a good place to stick in some debugging?

  Have you set mail_drop_priv_before_exec=yes? If not, it should still be
  running as root in your mail_executable. If it's "no", I'm not really
  sure..

I have not changed it ever, dovecot -n does not report it.

  auth_debug=yes at least shows what auth process sends to master. It
  should show empty system_user.