[Dovecot] Outlook can't see namespace folders

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Tue Oct 30 18:23:50 EET 2007

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 08:30:57PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

  On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:12 -0700, James wrote:
  > Hi guys i understand that you can't subscribe to the Prefix names of
  > namespace folders right now with dovecot.
  > But for instance if i user outlook express and it can't see the prefix
  > name then it can't see the subfolders of that "prefix folder" either.
  > So even though it can detect and see the subfolders it won't display
  > them cause it can't see the "parent"
  >
  > Is there any fix for this? it's also kind of annoying in thunderbird but
  > at least you can still see the subfolders.

  Changed in v1.1: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/0511e301acbc

  There's no simple fix for v1.0 though.

I am glad to see a patch.  For 1.0, I was concerned with the same thing,
and it turns out that the way our helpdesk was setting up Outlook Express
was the same as the workaround I was going to suggest:

Setup a seperate Account/profile in OE, set the mail folder prefix to your
namespace prefix, then that seperate account will have an Inbox plus all of
the folders in that prefix will be available for subscription and stay there.

Also, as an alternative (not a very good one) I think you can see the folders
in the subscribe window and double click to see them, then OE shows the whole
tree for just that session until logout.