[Dovecot] passdb/userdb args

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu Sep 6 02:20:32 EEST 2007

I'm a bit unclear on these - give me a moment to ramble on.  I should
mention I'm using version 1.0.3, my primary backend is LDAP, and I do
NOT want to store user mail folders in my LDAP directory.

I currently have the following:

default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%d/%n
passdb ldap {
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
}
# Instructions for deliver state a userdb is still required if using
prefetch
userdb ldap {
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
}
userdb prefetch {
}

My dovecot-ldap.conf is pretty simple - the trimmed version is:
hosts = localhost
auth_bind = no
user_attrs = %d/%n=mail
user_filter = (mail=%u)
pass_attrs = (&(userPassword=password)(mail=%u))
user_global_uid = 5000
user_global_gid = 8

I recognize that the pass_attrs is incorrect for a prefetch config - but
I couldn't get it to work.  My mail folder structure is
/var/mail/domain/username.

If, under 1.0.3, I can't use the %d/%n variables to build the
user/home/mail parameters in the LDAP config, can I do it in the
configuration stanza?  Something like:

passdb ldap{
    args = home=%dn/%n mail=%d/%n /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
}

--
Daniel