[Dovecot] How can i complie and install the dict modules

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Sep 9 05:17:06 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 11:35 +0200, Oliver Eales wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to migrate from courier-imap to dovecot and now i am trying out
> dovecot1.1.alpha3
> But i have problems getting the expire plugin to work.

You're probably the first one trying to do that. :)

> At startup i get the message:
> Unknown dict module: db
> As far as i understood i have to compile the backend manually an copy it
> into tho appropirate place.
> But how can i do this ?

I think the easiest way would be for you to at least first make it work
via dict proxy. So:

1) Make sure config.h has BUILD_DB defined. That means it's actually
building with the berkeley db support.

2) See "Dictionary proxy server" in http://wiki.dovecot.org/Quota/Dict
and change your config to use something similar.

If that works and you want to drop dict proxy, then you'll need to play
some with Makefiles to get this to work. I can try to figure out then if
there's a way to make configure do this automatically with some option.