[Dovecot] v1.1.alpha4 released / about dbox

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Sun Sep 9 12:14:37 EEST 2007

On Vas, Szeptember 9, 2007 06:01, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 15:04 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> > But since there's still a chance that index files could break
>> (although
>> > v1.1 tries harder than v1.0 to fix problems), it would be nice if the
>> > flags/keywords were written to metadata block once in a while. So if
>> the
>> > index files are lost, flag changes wouldn't be completely lost.
>> Metadata
>> > updates of course use disk I/O so they shouldn't be done too often.
>> >
>> > I was thinking that the metadata could be updated:
>> >
>> > - if IMAP connection has been idling for 4 hours (not changing flags)
>> > - when closing mailbox and there are changes older than 4h
>> > - immediately if there are changes older than 24h (whenever mailbox is
>> > being synced, e.g. SELECT/NOOP/STATUS)
>> >
>> > Or something like that. Those rules can of course be changed, but I'm
>> > not sure if I should bother making them configurable from
>> dovecot.conf.
>> > There are already too many settings.
>>
>> what about a maintanance srcipt/daemon which can be run from cron and
>> every sysadm can decided when and how often he'd like to update
>> metadatas?
>
> That would require keeping the "<mailbox>: <last updated>" information
> in some central database. Otherwise if you had lots of mailboxes it
> would waste a lot of disk I/O in such run. And I'm not really interested
> in creating such a database at least yet. :)

than may ber move this code to lda also helps. my main reason to suugest
the above is the same why i like lda: try to distribute the system load in
time. that's the main problem with indexing at reading time. every morning
when most people start to read his mail dovecot start to index all mail
which creates high load with lda we distribute this load from mail read
time to mail arrival time which is much better place! the same should have
to be do with metadata update. somehow distribute the load eg. move to
some time which is not so important during the night or move to lda which
happend during arrival time in stead of read time or any other place but
not during read.