[Dovecot] What is your dovecot setup?

Tim Bates tin at new-life.org.au
Mon Sep 17 05:08:22 EEST 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'd be really grateful if someone running a dovecot IMAP (or IMAPS) server
> could tell me exactly how their email folders are arranged.
>
> What is the mail_location setting in /etc/dovecot.conf ?

On my home one, I left it blank.
On a system at another site, I have it set to "~/Maildir"
> What are the directories (or some of them) containing mail messages?

~/Maildir/cur
~/Maildir/new
~/Maildir/.FolderNames/cur
~/Maildir/.FolderNames/new

> Does the client see an inbox folder?
> If so, what directory on the server contains these email messages?
My inbox mail appears to be in ~/Maildir/cur (and ~Maildir/new). However
I also appear to have a ".INBOX" containing a few test messages. I
suspect these are either Outlook's fault or I did it with a bad
.procmailrc setup.

Hope that helps you a bit.

TB