[Dovecot] What is your dovecot setup?

FiL fil at kpoxa.org
Tue Sep 18 07:31:18 EEST 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Surely it would take far less time to give your actual setup
> than it would to explain (at length) how easy it is to set it up ...
>
> Here is my server directory setup:
> ~/Maildir/[cur,new,tmp], ~/Maildir/.Family/[cur,new,tmp], etc.
>
> My dovecot.conf sets
> 	mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/
>
> My .procmailrc sets
> 	MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
> 	DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
>
> I cannot see the Family folder from my IMAPS client.
> Also it complains of the lack of .INBOX.directory
> ("Could Not Determine Resource Status").

Now we are talking. Not some useless "give me your setup", but "here
what I have, and I have a problem".

Several questions to follow:
1. Have you tried IMAP (not imaps)? This shouldn't be a problem, but
still worth checking.
2. "I cannot see the Family folder" means you can not see it in the list
of all folders? in the list of subscribed folders? can not access it?
3. How did you CREATE that "Family" folder? manually on the server or
from the IMAP client?
3.1. Can you create a folder from the client?
3.2. If you can create one, can you see it? Can you access it? Can you
put messages into it? All from within IMAP clent.
4. Have you tried another client (you are using kmail, AFAIR), like
Thunderbird? If not, try it.

I might have more questions for you later depending on your answers.

P.S. Forget about procmail for now.
P.P.S. I have very simple config like yours on one of my servers (no
procmail) and IMAPS works fine.

FiL