[Dovecot] Deliver, sendmail & envelope From_

Rich Winkel rich at math.missouri.edu
Tue Sep 25 02:05:49 EEST 2007

Sorry, couldn't find this in the archives.

Under freebsd 4.x, the native mail.local that sendmail uses by
default writes From_ lines that include the origin address.  This
is very readily parsable and handy for quick greps in mboxes.  But
deliver defaults it to MAILER-DAEMON.  I see you can specify the
envelope From_ with "-f", but I'm not sure how that's useful.

Also I'm trying to figure out the instructions for making deliver the
default delivery program under sendmail.  This is a very plain vanilla
setup I have here, procmail is not configured into sendmail.cf so I'm
not sure how to adapt the instructions at wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail
Any help would be much appreciated.  I've appended my local mailer
stuff below.  Should I just substitute deliver's path for mail.local?

By the way, dovecot is very slick!  It should speed up my
mail server by a huge factor.  Many thanks to Timo!

Mlocal,     P=/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qPSXmnz9P, S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
      T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP,
      A=mail.local -l
Mprog,      P=/usr/libexec/smrsh, F=lsDFMoqeu9, S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL, D=$z:/,
      T=X-Unix/X-Unix/X-Unix,
      A=smrsh -c $u