[Dovecot] blackberry with imap idle and concurrent connections

Chris Tirpak ctirpak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:11:57 EEST 2007

Hello -

I've combed the wiki and archives a bit and can't seem to find what I am
lookng for. It seems that BlackBerry Internet server has an issue with IMAP
accounts along with IDLE and concurrent connections. Please see the
following link (sorry it's fairly long):
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB13846&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=53398271&stateId=0%200%2027265273

It appears as though IDLE can be implemented without "concurrent
connections". Courier appears to do this although they have an option to
turn it on. At first blush it seems obvious that any mail server will permit
concurrent connections but as I read the docs for Courier and BlackBerry it
appears to be a subtle thing whereby IDLE allows more than one connection to
IDLE against the same IMAP folder when using maildir.

Does Dovecot support his? Also, if anyone on the list has experience running
a BlackBerry against Dovecot, are you currently getting instant (or near
instant) notifications? If so what service are you using? T-Mobile?

I am considering upgrading and using Dovecot but BlackBerry support has
become critical.

Thanks in advance.

Chris