[Dovecot] Auto create folder(s)

"Fábio M. Catunda" catunda at contactnet.com.br
Wed Sep 26 23:06:36 EEST 2007

Charles Marcus escreveu:
> On 9/26/2007, Bill Landry (bill at inetmsg.com) wrote:
>>> But with maildrop you still run the process of creating/checking on
>>> every delivery, same thing as dovecot, right?
>
>> Correct. If the folder does not exist, maildrop will create it on
>> first delivery. If the end user deletes the folder, maildrop will
>> recreate the folder on the next message delivery to that account.
>
> Could it could be written to simply create the folder if the target
> folder doesn't exist (ie, if the initial save fails due to
> non-existent folder)? Then there would be no performance hit...

There will be a performance hit couse you have to check if the folder
exists or not.
With maildrop its pretty easy to do that, but you will have an extra
access to your HD on every message delivery.
Maildrop can run shell commands it the user that runs it have a valid
shell (Debian-exim do NOT have a valid shell, I created another user
just to make the delivery), so, you can run something like

/^Envelope-to:.*/
getaddr($MATCH) =~ /^.*/;
DEST = $MATCH
USER = `/bin/echo $DEST | /usr/bin/cut -f1 -d'@'`
DOMAIN = `/bin/echo $DEST | /usr/bin/cut -f2 -d'@'`

DOEXIST=`[ -d /var/mail/$DOMAIN/$USER/Maildir ]; echo $?`

if ($DOEXIST == 1){
    <RUN SOMETHING HERE TO CREATE MAILDIRS>
}

Thats it!