[Dovecot] v1.0 vs 1.1b re: Postfix and Dovecot LDA

Jerry Yeager jerry at scene-naturally.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 28 17:37:34 EEST 2007

>>> From: Bill Cole <dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com>

(stuff cut out)

> That looks like a bug. A program that calls setgroups() must be
> running as root. It seems to me that a code path leading to such a
> call should probably be able to identify that issue before the call
> and provide a better failure message than translating EPERM into its
> standard meaning....
>
> The interesting question would be: why does deliver want to call
> setgroups() at all?

I am not sure why it would need to do this either. It (deliver) is
not handing things off to another app to finish things up.

<snip><snip>

> I'd love to take credit, but I thought that was about the LDA with
> Sendmail, which is rather different, and Rich was running 1.0.3...
>
> In any event, I won't go so far as to say that running deliver as
> setuid root is actively dangerous, but it feels wrong to me and I
> wouldn't do it. That may be from too much exposure to bizarre attacks
> through delivery agents in the Dark Ages.
>
> That it works without being setuid on Linux is a touch odd.

The mystery deepens!

I have it (deliver) in a restricted access folder as a standard
safety precaution, but as most of these "jails" end up being only
safe for a short time I have again gone back to using Postfix as the
deliver.

Timo has from time to time mentioned that he was thinking that
deliver needed to be rewritten. hmmm.

I still give you and Rich credit though, if you had not mentioned the
ideas behind Sendmail and LDA, it would most likely taken much longer
before I read that wiki entry and gave that approach a try, instead
of trying to find the missing setting for changing groups that the
error message wants fixed.