[Dovecot] plugin problem

Lars Stavholm stava at telcotec.se
Sat Sep 29 19:04:27 EEST 2007

Fábio M. Catunda wrote:
> Lars Stavholm escreveu:
>> Let's try to keep this on the list, shall we.
>>
> Sorry, my TB dont like the reply-to header.
>> Have a look at Johannes Berg's reply above: the Maildir format
>> would have a file for each mail message, other formats would not.
>>

> Well, some plugins only works with Maildir, mine will be another one of
> those.
>>> My idea is based on the following:
>>> Q: Scalability: And if a user moves 400 messages to Spam folder at once?
>>> A: Well, its not a problem to write 400 lines into a file, then the
>>> external program will control how much resources dspam can use to
>>> classify all those messages.
>>>

>> Sounds OK, not really a problem.
>>
> Thats the question, this is not a problem if you right it to a file, but
> if you decide to classify the message instantly it will become a problem.
> The base idea of dpam_plugin (at least what I have read from the wiki
> page) is to classify messages at night with a cron job, but it might be
> a problem (my mail server is realy busy at night, spammers love to work
> late).
>>
>>> Q: Why not a FIFO:
>>> A: In case of a crash I need to classify all messages anyway, so, a FIFO
>>> is not a good idea here. (I think so)
>>
>> Didn't quite understand the reasoning there,
>> but never mind, it's just me:)
>>
> If you create a FIFO for communication and you have a crash all messages
> that are queued get lost, with a file it wouldn't happen!

Well, that would depend on how you implement it.
If you implement persistent storage of the queue,
it's not a problem, except possibly for the message
being processed, and again, that could be implemented
in a way so that it wont get lost in a process crash.

>> * Move message out of Spam: it's a ham that should be reclassified.
>>
> And if the user just wants to delete all spam messages without shift+del?

Shift+Del got to be client specific,
has nothing to do with an IMAP server as such.

In any case, a bulk move to Trash could be regarded as a bulk move
to any folder, whereas a bulk delete, which in Thunderbird actually
is the same thing as a bulk move to Trash, should be regarded as a
non-reclassification situation. As you said, a bit trouble some maybe.

> Those messages will be moved to trash and will be reclassified as ham?
> Maybe this is a problem!
>
> Anyway, I will try to do some tricks, unfortunately my C skills are
> close to zero! lol

Well, I'm close to that myself, but we'll see how it goes.

Good Luck
/L