[Dovecot] DoveCot IMAP and "inconsistent state" messages

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Apr 2 02:15:05 EEST 2008

At 11:20 AM +0300 4/1/08, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 15:10 -0500, Chris Richards wrote:
>>  Dovecot is version 1.0.rc15
>
>I agree with others that it would be a good idea to upgrade from rc15,
>but..
>
>>  Mar 31 14:00:58 myserver dovecot: IMAP(me): Maildir /home/me/.Maildir
>>  sync: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox (85953 > 85053, file =
>>  msg.XL7B:2,)
>
>This is a procmail configuration problem:
>http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir#procmail

That's a surprise. I saw that and considered it, but I interpreted it
to mean that mh delivery from procmail into a Maildir's 'new'
subdirectory created a file with the inode *number* in the filename.

I was suspecting the UID lock issue fixed in rc26:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-news/2007-March/000035.html

Which does not explain how Dovecot could reuse a UID, but that just
seemed weird and wrong in any case...

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com