[Dovecot] "Dumb" proxying?

Ruben Lang r.lang at scan-plus.de
Wed Apr 2 09:08:23 EEST 2008

Hi Dan,

you can set up a static/simple passdb. All you have to do is to return
some
extrafields for proxying.

We had a 'passdb checkpassword' and I simply set those environment
variables
in our checkpassword script (python).

    os.environ['proxy'] = 'Y' # if there is a proxy field, proxying is
enabled whatever the value is
    os.environ['host'] = '192.168.0.1' # the server to proxy the
connection to
    os.environ['EXTRA'] = 'proxy host' # passdb checkpassword needs to
know about the extra fields
    os.environ['USER'] = user # the user to use
    os.environ['HOME'] = '' # set on the 'host'

As you can see, you only have to enable proxying and set a destination
host
and all connections get forwarded 'dumb' ;).

Greets,
Ruben Lang

dovecot-bounces+r.lang=scan-plus.de at dovecot.org schrieb am 01.04.2008
23:45:07:

> I'm a database noob, and it really seems like it would be overkill for
my
> setup: I just want to proxy all connections from my DMZ to my internal
mail
> server -- same internal server for all users. I used to use perdition
for
> this set up, but am having issues getting it to play nicely with my
> new servers.
>
> Can I bypass all of the SQL stuff and just have dovecot forward all
POP/IMAP