[Dovecot] mail_chroot problems / dovecot 1.1rc4

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Fri Apr 4 16:02:53 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Right. If you use mail_chroot or chroot, the home directory points under
> the chroot. I guess it might be also useful for it not to do that, but I
> can't change that without breaking backwards compatibility, and I'm not
> sure if it's worth it to add yet another setting just for that.

So in such case - is there any way to chroot mail processes for userdb
that can't (or shouldn't) use /./ and can't modify HOME to fit
mail_chroot setting ? Like system's passwd, or other where changing HOME
would/could break other things ?

I know what you mean by breaking backwards compatibility in this
context, but in this way, mail_chroot is practically unusable besides
custom-userdb + dovecot-only setups. And in this scenario - you can
simply use /./ (point being, in a way - is there anyone actually using
mail_chroot / chroot along with stripped HOME paths ?).