[Dovecot] Problem with dovecot under Vmware Server

Marvin Raab marv at startrun.com
Sun Apr 6 09:05:23 EEST 2008

Hi all,

Recently installed dovecot and postfix under Fedora8 and it works great.
Then I installed both postfix and dovecot under VMWare Server (different
machine) copying the same configuration files but changing the hostname and
domain as appropriate.

When testing the installation using:  telnet hostname 143, I receive  * OK
Dovecot ready
But when I telnet on port 25, I receive:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.

Instead of:
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.kickspam.net ESMTP Postfix

Naturally, I cannot send email. Outlook responds with Server timeout.
I've rebooted and restarted services. I've checked poermissions and postfix
master.cf

How can I troubleshoot or does anyone have a quick answer?

Thanks!

Here's the output of dovecot -n and postconf -n
The same config files are on both hosts and only the installation under
VMWare Server has the problem.

[root at vmhost ~]# dovecot -n
# 1.0.13: /etc/dovecot.conf
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix

[root at vmhost ~]# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
message_size_limit = 50240000
mydestination = $myhostname, $mydomain, localhost
mydomain = mydomain.com
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.4.5/README_FILES
relay_domains = $mydestination
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated,
reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550