[Dovecot] temporary disable account

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 8 11:13:44 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 06:48 +0200, Lampa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there some way how to disable temporarily account or access to
> files.

If you just disable a user's access, you also need to kill any existing
processes the user might have.

> I need to backup with tar, but there is problem when tar is
> reading and some file changed (with --ignore-failed-read it continues
> but archive is not created and without --ignore-failed-read it fails).

Really? I'm pretty sure I've successfully created tars where files have
changed during it and without any special options. And if you're using
maildir there shouldn't be any mailbox corruption since only metadata
files change.

You could anyway lock mailboxes one at a time. With maildir creating
dovecot-uidlist.lock file (but that also means creating the .lock safely
so that if it exists, wait until it's gone).