[Dovecot] keep users from deleting email

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Mon Apr 14 16:58:58 EEST 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> I was thinking about a possible plugin - call it maybe 'fake-delete or
> something - that would move all messages that a user deletes to a
> hidden folder in their maildir, for admin purposes... you could also
> use the expire plugin to keep this from growing indefinitely.
>
> But to prevent them from deleting them altogether? Why?
>
> If you just want a read-only maildir, just do that - so only admins
> can delete messages from protected accounts...
Management wants the users to be able to use the email like normal (to
read as normal, to file into mailboxes, etc) but not be able to delete
any email, ever, for archival/legal purposes.  Also, I'm using the
wu-imap mbox format and not the Maildir format for keeping email,
because a year ago I migrated away from wu-imap to dovecot.