[Dovecot] keep users from deleting email

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Mon Apr 14 17:36:37 EEST 2008

Bill Cole wrote:
> Presumably you're users are all using IMAP, since the question doesn't
> really make sense for POP users, whose view of mail is entirely local
> to their machines, not  the server.
>
> I'd argue that having the sort of in-your-face dysfunction you
> describe is probably not the best approach unless user antagonism is
> one of your goals. You would probably be better off making a user's
> deletion into a server-side hiding/archiving. The "Lazy Expunge"
> plugin can do that. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Lazyexpunge
Thanks, I agree with you.  However, I just do what management tells me
to do, and we're trying to get Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 compliant with
our data.  Lazy Expunge only operates on Maildir format, and while
dovecot's website has instructions for converting from mbox to Maildir,
mbox works pretty good for us, and I don't want to fix what isn't broken.