[Dovecot] Please help: LDAP configuration _almost_ works.

Jack McKinney jackmc at lorentz.com
Tue Apr 15 18:02:14 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 14:35 +0200, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Jack McKinney wrote:
>
> > dn: dovecot needs a dn with which to search the database to find the
> > user's DN based on their email.
>
> This is done with an anonymous connection,

	Hmmm... wish the docs mentioned that.  It means that I need to set up
LDAP to allow anonymous searches for the mail field.  Odd...

> Does this work? Can you bind as this user?
>
> I mean ldapsearch -D "cn=Jack McKinney, ou=users, dc=lorentz, dc=com" -x
> - -w "test123" ?

	Yes. My mail client, in fact, uses this binding to connect to the
server and get my contacts list.

> > supplied by the user to try and authenticate to LDAP. If it succeeds,
> > then the user can access their email.
>
> Yeah, it works in my setup :-)

	Can you supply your config?!

> Did you sniffed the LDAP connection already?

	Only indirectly through the LDAP logs, which shows that a response is
indeed sent by the LDAP server.

--
Jack McKinney
GPG 1024D/99C6A174