[Dovecot] Please help: LDAP configuration _almost_ works.

Wojtek Bogusz Wojtek at FrontLineDefenders.org
Wed Apr 16 20:08:41 EEST 2008

Rob. actually it works... you made me check one thing again and i did
have a mistake with the user specified in dn in dovecot-ldap.conf. it
was not possible to search userdb information with it. so a small fix in
slapd.conf and it is working.

now i am off to setting the ldap aliases for postfix. setting mailing
lists with mailman, making ldap work with samba, etc...

i need to offer users simple way of changing the password and editing
mail address aliases. i was thinking of writing a simple web interface.
but maybe there are already programs for doing this?

all the best! Wojtek

Rob Coward wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> - you do not have auth_bind_userdn defined. if i comment my out i cannot
>> authenticate at all - log file:
>> auth(default): ldap(wojtek,192.168.0.200): unknown user
>> dovecot: auth(default): client out: FAIL^I1^Iuser=wojtek
>
> Our initial connection is made using the "dn" and "dnpass" settings.
> This looks up the user's dn based on the "(&(objectClass=user)(mail=%
> u))" search criteria.
>
> My understanding of the auth_bind_userdn setting is that it is only
> useful if all your users are in a specific tree in the ldap, so that you
> can specify (from
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/DovecotOpenLdap?highlight=%
> 28auth_bind_userdn%29 ) auth_bind_userdn = uid=%
> u,ou=People,dc=_WIZZY_HOSTNAME_,ou=wizzy
>
> This I believe saves the first lookup to find the dn of the user trying
> to login. Our users are spread throughout our tree, hence using the
> initial lookup as the 'dn'/'dnpass' user to find our user's dn.
>
> If you remove auth_bind_userdn, do you have 'dn' & 'dnpass' setup with a
> suitable unprivileged user to allow the initial lookup of the logging-in
> user's dn ?
>
>> - you have user_attrs = mail=user, me: user_attrs =
>> homeDirectory=home,uidNumber=uid. but i do not think it make any difference.
>>

> Our users login with their email address as the userid - hence
> "mail=user" telling dovecot that the userid is stored in the 'mail'
> attribute in the ldap results. We dont bother with 'home' or 'uid' as
> they are all virtual users, using a fixed uid set by "user_global_uid =
> dovecot" and "mail_location: maildir:/data/shared/mailstore/%d/%n"
>
>> - i did not have deref = never. do you know what does it do? i do not
>> understand man ldapsearch explanation :(
>
> something to do with following links to other ldap servers I think. Dont
> think its strictly necessary in a single server setup.
>
>> Rob, could you send me your ldap config (/etc/ldap/slapd.conf) please?
>> maybe i am making some simple mistake with my ldap config...
>
> As I said, we use Active Directory (running on Win2k3 servers I
> believe), not slapd.
>
> Regards,
> Rob
>

>> Rob Coward wrote:
>>> I cant help you with what is going wrong for you, but we use dovecot
>>> very successfully with ldap lookups against Active Directory, using
>>> auth_bind=yes, and it does not require anonymous connections. The
>>> initial connection is by an un-privileged user that searches for the
>>> user, then a 2nd connection is used, authenticating against AD as the
>>> looked up user using the password supplied to dovecot.
>>>
>>> Our setup looks like this:
>>>
>>> # rpm -q dovecot
>>> dovecot-1.0-1.2.0.el5
>>>
>>> # dovecot -n
>>> # /etc/dovecot.conf
>>> protocols: imap pop3
>>> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
>>> login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
>>> login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
>>> login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
>>> login_user: dovecotlogin
>>> login_process_size: 64
>>> login_processes_count: 10
>>> login_max_processes_count: 64
>>> first_valid_uid: 97
>>> default_mail_env: maildir:/data/shared/mailstore/%d/%n
>>> mail_location: maildir:/data/shared/mailstore/%d/%n
>>> mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
>>> mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
>>> mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
>>> mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
>>> mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
>>> mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib64/dovecot/pop3
>>> auth default:
>>>   passdb:
>>>     driver: ldap
>>>     args: /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
>>>   passdb:
>>>     driver: ldap
>>>     args: /etc/dovecot-ldap-fr.conf
>>>   passdb:
>>>     driver: ldap
>>>     args: /etc/dovecot-ldap-se.conf
>>>   userdb:
>>>     driver: ldap
>>>     args: /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
>>>   userdb:
>>>     driver: ldap
>>>     args: /etc/dovecot-ldap-fr.conf
>>>   userdb:
>>>     driver: ldap
>>>     args: /etc/dovecot-ldap-se.conf
>>>
>>> # cat /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
>>> hosts = ad.our.net
>>> dn=CN=Lookup,CN=Users,DC=our,DC=net
>>> dnpass=XXXXXXXX
>>> auth_bind = yes
>>> ldap_version = 3
>>> base = OU=Stores,OU=UK,DC=our,DC=net
>>> deref = never
>>> scope = subtree
>>> user_attrs = mail=user
>>> user_filter = (&(objectClass=user)(mail=%u))
>>> pass_attrs = mail=user,userPassword=password,mail=userdb_user
>>> pass_filter = (&(objectClass=user)(mail=%u))
>>> user_global_uid = dovecot