[Dovecot] Bah! Outlook

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Apr 17 16:08:49 EEST 2008

I hate defend Microsoft, but personally I found that Outlook Express to
be one of the (overall) best IMAP clients out there... (on windows at
least).  Mulberry never quite seemed to work the way I expected and is
now discontinued.

I personally used OE for many years and it took quite a long time for
Thunderbird to work well enough with offline/disconnected operation to
be useful *for me*.  Outlook also seemed to work ok in most guises from
2002 ish onwards (although 2003 seems a great improvement in most ways).

All clients seem to have bugs and problems, but personally I rate OE as
one of the best clients out there for people on dialup and lower
bandwidth lines.  I particularly like the popup box which tells you
*exactly* what it's doing, how long is left, and also makes it very
simple to hangup the dialup connection when finished (or not).  It has
very precise syncing of folders, so you can avoid downloading all
messages over your expensive GPRS link, and you can very precisely
choose even which indiivdual messages to sync.  If it's possible to make
Thunderbird auto dial and hangup, and show the same progress dialogs
then I'm all ears...  In the meantime we put all our customers on OE (or
Windows Mail as it's called under Vista) - works very well in practice

Good luck

Ed W