[Dovecot] Dovecot and multiple instances in Geentoo

Wolfram Schlich lists at wolfram.schlich.org
Thu Apr 17 19:16:37 EEST 2008

* Wojciech Matys <mcom at koba.pl> [2008-04-17 15:43]:
> Is there any possiblity to run more than one instance of dovecot in gentoo
> (I was trying to run second instance but I don't know how to force it to
> use other pid file than /var/run/dovecot/master.pid)
> I'm using dovecot from portage dovecot-1.0.13-r1.

Hi,

I am currently maintaining Dovecot at Gentoo. I've just committed
dovecot-1.1_rc4-r1 which supports running multiple instances.

To set up a new instance, just do this:

# cp /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf /etc/dovecot/dovecot.special.conf
# sed -i -e 's#/var/run/dovecot#/var/run/dovecot.special#g' \
	/etc/dovecot/dovecot.special.conf
# install -d -o root -g root -m 0755 /var/run/dovecot.special
# vim /etc/dovecot/dovecot.special.conf # <-- adjust IPs etc.
# ln -s dovecot /etc/init.d/dovecot.special
# /etc/init.d/dovecot.special start
# rc-update add dovecot.special default
# echo hooray

You may of course just copy over the new init script
/usr/portage/net-mail/dovecot/files/dovecot.init-r1
to make your 1.0 installation support multiple instances.

Please note you have to wait some time for the changes to make
it to your favorite rsync mirror.

Have fun! :)
--
Regards,